Oct 30, 2018
The Muskingum volleyball team erupted to claim a 3-0 (25-17, 25-16, 25-19) dominating victory over the Mount Union Purple Raiders in the first round of the OAC Tournament on Tuesday night in the Anne C. Steele Center.
- Record: Muskingum (24-6 overall, 7-2 in the OAC)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
- Game Duration: 1:12
- Attendance: 350
- This is the first OAC Tournament game the Muskies have won since 2008.
- With the win, the Muskies advance to the Semifinals of the OAC Tournament.
- The Muskies have recorded 15 straight-set victories.
How It Happened
- Muskingum dominated in set one (25-17), two (25-16), and three (25-19).
- The Muskies were led by sophomore Brooke Fatheree who registered 13 kills, 10 digs, and 14 points.
- Freshman Carson Miller registered a team-best hitting percentage of .556.
- The Muskie attack was controlled by sophomore Erin Dickson who recorded 30 assists.
- Sophomore Jessica Cottle anchored the backline with 13 digs.
- Senior Jordan Youngs added 11 digs.
- As a team, the Muskies logged 39 kills, 37 assists, 56 digs.
Inside The Sets
- In set one, the Muskies jumped out to an early lead of 12-6. The Purple Raiders fought back with a four-point attack, but the Muskies could not be halted. A 10-4 run locked in the 25-17 victory for the Muskies.
- The Muskies took control of the second set early on with a score of 9-4. Mount Union answered back with a 6-1 run to tie up play 10-10. The Muskies regained control with a 10-5 run to put them ahead 21-16. A block by the sophomore tandem of Brynn Guist and Kaitlin Goedde secured the set.
- In the third set, the Muskies slid past the Purple Raiders with a score of 12-6. An 8-6 run expanded the gap for Muskingum. Mount Union fought to trim the deficit but the Muskies recorded the final point to take the set.
- The three-seed Muskies next play at second-seed Otterbein on Thursday, November 1, at 7:00 p.m. in the Semifinals of the OAC Tournament.