The Muskingum volleyball team is on a 10 game winning streak after defeating John Carroll 3-0 (25-21, 26-24, 25-16) and Mount Vernon Nazarene 3-1 (25-22, 25-19, 16-25, 25-17) on Saturday. The victory against John Carroll marks the first OAC win of this season for the Muskies.
- The dual-match was hosted by John Carroll.
- Muskingum now stands 17-2 overall and 1-0 in the OAC.
- The Muskies host Wilmington on Tuesday, October 2 at 7:00 p.m.
- Muskingum registered their first OAC win of the season against John Carroll.
- The victories mark Muskingum's tenth consecutive win.
John Carroll (25-21, 26-24, 25-16)
- In the first set, the Blue Streaks took the lead with a score of 10-6. The Muskies registered four-points in a row to tie up the set 10-10. A 10-4 run put Muskingum ahead of John Carroll with a score of 20-14. The Blue Streaks chipped away at the differential, but Muskingum took the set with a final score of 25-21.
- In the second set, the Blue Streaks and Muskies fought closely with neither team taking more than a three-point lead early. John Carroll secured back-to-back points to advance past Muskingum with a score of 16-11. The Muskies answered with a ferocious 9-2 run to take the lead 20-18. The Blue Streaks fought back, but the Muskies registered the final two-points to take the set.
- The Battle continued into the third set, until Muskingum slid past John Carroll with a score of 19-13. The Muskies later expanded the gap 21-14. Muskingum secured the last four-points of the set to lock in the 25-16 victory. The Muskies have swept 11 teams in their 2018-19 campaign.
- The Muskies were led by sophomore Brooke Fatheree who secured 15 kills, 16 digs, and 15.5 points. Fatheree also registered a hitting percentage of .355.
- Freshman Carson Miller added 11 kills on 22 attempts, with a team-best hitting percentage of .409.
- Sophomore Erin Dickson directed the offense with 36 assists.
- The backline was anchored by sophomore Jessica Cottle who had a team-high 18 digs.
- As a team Muskingum logged 45 kills, 42 assists, and 55 digs.
Mount Vernon Nazarene (25-22, 25-19, 16-25, 25-17)
- In set one, the Muskies came out hot and took the lead with a score of 14-10. The Cougars registered a 9-6 run to close the gap 19-20. The Muskies continued to fight and were able to register the final two-points to take the set.
- In set two, the Muskies and Cougars fought neck and neck with neither team claiming more than a three-point lead early on. The Muskies logged a 9-3 run to put them ahead of John Carroll with a score of 21-15. The Cougars chipped away at the differential, but were unable to stop the Fighting Muskies. A kill by sophomore Brynn Guist locked in the 25-19 victory for the Muskies.
- The battle continued into the third set until John Carroll was able to slip past the Muskies with a score of 14-10. The Muskies fought hard but fell to the Blue Streaks with a score of 25-16.
- In the fourth set, it was evident early on that the energy had shifted and the Muskies had taken control. A 9-2 run put the Muskies ahead of John Carroll with a score of 13-6. The Blue Streaks fought to close the gap, but the Muskies recorded three-points in a row to claim the 25-17 win.
- Fatheree guided the Muskies with 15 kills, 11 digs, and 15 points.
- Sophomore Kaitlin Goedde added 14 kills, while senior Miranda Plumly logged 10.
- Dickson led the Muskies with a team-best 59 assists.
- Cottle secured a team-high 16 digs.
- As a team the Muskies recorded 65 kills, 62 assists, and 57 digs.