The Muskingum volleyball team crushed back-to-back matches against Washington and Lee and Washington and Jefferson at the Classic Columbus Battle on Friday at Otterbein. Finishing 2-0, the Muskies earned a 3-2 win over Washington and Lee (25-23, 25-18, 17-28, 19-25, 15-5) and a 3-0 (26-24, 25-9, 25-20) straight-set win against Washington and Jefferson.
- The Classic Columbus Battle was hosted by Otterbein.
- Muskingum now stands undefeated with a record of 2-0.
- The Muskies will play again Saturday, September 1 at 12:00 p.m. against Hanover and 4:00 p.m. against Ohio Wesleyan at the Classic Columbus Battle at Capital.
Washington and Lee Match
Final Score: 3-2 (25-23, 25-18, 17-25, 19-25, 15-5)
- As a team, Muskingum registered 54 kills, 52 assists, and 83 digs.
- In the first set, the Muskies fought neck and neck with the Generals until a spike by Kaitlin Goedde gave them the advantage they needed to win. Ending the set with a score of 25-23.
- During the second set, the Muskies dominated the game and finished strong with a 9-4 run over the Generals securing the victory with a score of 25-18.
- Early into set three, it was noticeable that the energy had shifted and the Generals had taken control. The Generals registered back-to-back points, securing the victory with a score of 25-17.
- In the fourth set, the Generals took an early lead of 17-9 and the Muskies struggled to fight back. An 8-5 run over the Muskies allowed the Generals to capture a 25-19 victory.
- The Muskies took control in the fifth set tallying back-to-back points to secure the 15-5 victory over the Generals.
- Sophomore Brooke Fatheree registered 17 kills and 15 digs.
- Sophomore Jessica Cottle registered a team-high 22 digs.
- Maddie Sikorski added 13 digs and Jordan Youngs registered 14.
- Sophomore Erin Dickson logged a team-high 38 assists.
Washington and Jefferson Match
Final Score: 3-0 (26-24, 25-9, 25-20)
- The Muskies claimed a straight-set victory over the Presidents.
- As a team, Muskingum logged 54 kills, 52 assists, and 83 digs.
- In both the first and the third sets, the Muskies and Presidents fought closely. The Muskies persevered to secure a 26-24 win in the first set and a 25-20 win in the third.
- In the second set, the Muskies took control. They finished strong with a 17-5 run over the Presidents, securing a 25-9 victory.
- Sophomore Brooke Fatheree led the Muskies with 20 kills.
- Sophomore Brynn Guist tailed a hitting average of .348.
- Sophomore Erin Dickson logged a team high of 43 assists.