Posted: Sep 24, 2019
The 25th-ranked Muskingum volleyball team slipped in a five-set thriller at 15th-ranked Ohio Northern on Tuesday, 3-2 (20-25, 25-11, 30-28, 19-25, 9-15).
- Records: Muskingum (13-2 overall, 0-1 OAC), Ohio Northern (11-3 overall, 1-0 OAC)
- Location: Ada, Ohio – Ohio Northern University
- The game marked the start of Ohio Athletic Conference play for both teams.
- The Muskies have surrendered 11 total sets this season.
How It Happened
- The Muskies fell in set one (20-25), secured a dominating victory (25-11) in set two, locked in set three (30-28), slipped in set four (19-25), and fell in set five (9-15).
- As a team, Muskingum registered 70 kills, 67 assists, 12 total blocks, and 106 digs.
- Junior Brooke Fatheree guided the Muskies with 18 kills and 19 digs.
- Junior Maddie McGee chipped in 14 kills, while junior Kaitlin Goedde-Noble dished out 13.
- Junior Brynn Guist led the Muskies with a game-high six total blocks.
- Junior Jessica Cottle anchored the Muskie backline with a team-best 36 digs.
- Junior Maddie Sikorski recorded 18 digs, while freshman Emma Conrad logged 14.
- Junior Erin Dickson tallied a team-high 55 assists.
Inside The Sets
- In the first set, the contest remained tight with neither team taking more than a three-point lead early on. Ohio Northern registered four points in a row to slide past the Muskies with a score of 21-17. Muskingum chipped away at the differential, but the Polar Bears continued to control play. Ohio Northern took the final point to secure the set with a score of 25-20.
- In the second set, the Muskies came out hot and tallied back-to-back points to jump out to an early 11-5 lead over the Polar Bears. Muskingum registered a 9-4 run to expand their lead to 21-10. Ohio Northern fought to close the gap, but Muskingum continued to dominate. The Muskies recorded four straight points to take the set (25-11).
- In the third set, the Muskies and Polar Bears battled side by side until Ohio Northern registered an 8-4 run to take the lead with a score of 11-9. The Polar Bears and Muskies traded points until Muskingum secured three unanswered points to claim the 30-28 triumph over Ohio Northern.
- The battle continued into the fourth set, until the Polar Bears capitalized on Muskie errors to advance past Muskingum with a score of 15-10. Muskingum attempted to trim the lead, but was unable to halt Ohio Northern's momentum. The Polar Bears claimed the set with a score of 25-19.
- In set five, Ohio Northern locked in six straight points to jump out to an early 6-1 lead over the Muskies. Muskingum fought back with three consecutive points to get within two-points (6-4) of the Polar Bears. The Muskies continued to battle, but Ohio Northern recorded the final two points to take the set with a score of 15-9.
- Muskingum next hosts 18th-ranked Transylvania on Sunday, September 29 in the Anne C. Steele Center. Start time is slated for 12:00 p.m.