Sep 18, 2019
The Muskingum volleyball team energized the Anne C. Steele Center tonight in their 2019 season home opener against Bethany. The Muskies claimed a straight-set victory of 3-0 (25-15, 25-13, 25-14) over the Bison.
- Records: Muskingum (11-1 overall), Bethany (4-7 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - Anne C. Steele Center
- The game marked the home opener for the Muskies.
- This signified Muskingum's eighth straight set victory of the 2019 season.
- Muskingum has only surrendered eight sets.
How It Happened
- The Muskies controlled set one (25-15), two (25-13), and three (25-14).
- As a team, Muskingum registered 37 kills, 31 assists, and 41 digs.
- Junior Brooke Fatheree guided the Muskies with 12 kills and 13 digs.
- Junior Maddie McGee, junior Brynn Guist, and junior Jada Briggs tallied five kills each.
- Junior Jessica Cottle anchored the Muskie backline with nine digs.
- Freshman Emma Conrad locked in a team-high 13 assists, whlie junior Erin Dickson registered nine.
Inside The Sets
- In the first set, the Bison jumped out to an early 11-5 lead over the Muskies. Muskingum answered back with six straight points to tie up play to 11-11. The Muskies recorded back-to-back points to slide past Bethany with a score of 20-14. The Bison fought to trim the deficit, but the Muskies could not be halted. A kill by junior Guist locked in the 25-15 victory for the Muskies.
- Muskingum took control of the second set early on with a score of 9-4. The Bison fought to close the gap, but the Muskies continued to dominate. Muskingum expanded the lead to 16-4 en route to the ferocious 25-13 triumph over the Bison.
- In the third set, the Muskies and Bison battled side by side with neither team taking more than a two-point lead early on. Muskingum registered five consecutive points to take the lead with a score of 11-6. A kill by Fatheree expanded the gap to 19-11. Muskingum recorded the final four-points to take the set with a score of 25-14.
- Muskingum next travels to Greencastle, Indiana to participate in the DePauw University Invitational on Saturday, September 21. The Muskies battle St. Mary's (1:00 p.m.) and go head-to-head with DePauw (3:00 p.m.).