Oct 16, 2018
The Muskingum Volleyball team stung the Capital Crusaders 3-1 (25-22, 25-27, 25-11, 25-12) on Tuesday.
- Records: Muskingum (21-3 overall, 5-1 in the OAC), Capital (0-22 overall, 0-6 in the OAC)
- Location: Columbus, Ohio – The Capital Center
- The Muskies are off to their best start since 1999 where they advanced to both the OAC and NCAA Tournaments.
- Muskingum stands 2nd in the OAC - just one game back of first place.
How It Happened
- Muskingum secured set one (25-22), fell in set two (25-27), and dominated in the third (25-11) and forth (25-12) set.
- The Muskies logged 52 kills, 48 assists, and 73 digs.
- Sophomore Brooke Fatheree led the Muskies with 16 kills, 12 digs, and a .310 hitting percentage.
- Senior Miranda Plumly added 12 kills on 26 attempts, with a hitting percentage of .346.
- The attack was controlled by sophomore Erin Dickson who logged a team-best 41 assists.
- Senior Jordan Youngs anchored the backline with a team-high 13 digs.
Inside The Sets
- In the first set, the Muskies and Crusaders battled neck and neck until Muskingum recorded back-to-back points to put them ahead 16-12. A 5-3 run expanded the gap for the Muskies. The Crusaders answered back with a ferocious six point attack tying up the contest 21-21. The Muskies continued to battle and recorded the final point to take the set.
- In set two, the Muskies came out hot and took an early lead of 12-7. After a Capital timeout, the momentum of the game began to change and the Crusaders secured an 11-6 run to tie up play 18-18. The Muskies continued to fight but Capital could not be halted. Capital registered the final three points to claim the 27-25 victory over the Muskies.
- The Muskies took control of set three early on with a score of 10-1. The Crusaders fought to trim the deficit but the Muskie attack was unstoppable. The Muskies locked in the set with a final score of 25-11.
- In the fourth set, Muskingum was able to start off strong and take an 11-2 lead. The Muskies later expanded the gap 18-4. Capital fought hard to close the differential, but the Muskies tallied a 6-3 run to lock in set four.
- The Muskies next travel to Otterbein on Saturday, October 20 for a dual-match. The Muskies first battle the Otterbein Cardinals at 11:00 a.m. and then the Thomas More Saints at 1:00 p.m.