Posted: Sep 04, 2019
The Muskingum women's soccer team notched its first shutout of the season on Wednesday evening beating Geneva, 3-0. The contest marked the home opener for the Muskies.
- Records: Muskingum (1-1), Geneva (1-1)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio
- Attendance: 100
- Game Length: 1:45
- The Muskies got the scoring started in the 19th minute off a strike from sophomore Natalie Woodward making it 1-0. The goal was the first of the season for Woodward.
- Sophomore Maddie Wirtley started the scoring in the second half with a goal in the 57th minute on a free kick from 33 yards out to make it 2-0. The tally was the first of the season for Wirtley.
- Woodward capped off the Muskie scoring with her second goal in the 84th minute to extend the Muskie edge to 3-0. She ended the night with a team-high four shots, including three on frame.
- Junior Mary Double helped pace the Muskie attack with three shots, while freshman Lexi Fry, freshman Janae Johnson, senior Abigail Wagner, and freshman Kaitlin Dawson each added a shot.
- Junior goalkeeper Katie Bodenmiller played all 90 minutes in frame for the Muskies and made two saves, including a penalty kick attempt in the 85th minute, which preserved the shutout.
- The Muskies outshot Geneva 12-8 and ended the outing with nine shots on goal. Muskingum and Geneva each had three corner kicks.
- Erin Houser led Geneva with three shots.
- Geneva goalkeeper Danielle Lincoln had five saves for the Golden Tornadoes.
- Muskingum next takes on Pitt.-Greensburg at home on Saturday, September 7. The Parents' Day game is set for 3:00 p.m. at the North Athletic Turf Field.