The Muskingum wrestling team posted a 2-1 record at the Thiel Duals on Saturday afternoon.
The Muskies avenged their season-opening loss at Lourdes by beating the Gray Wolves in the opening dual, 33-18. Muskingum notched its second win of the day with a 30-16 win against Mercyhurst Northeast. The Muskies suffered a 27-19 setback in their final bout against host Thiel.
Thiel Dual Highlights
- Junior Jordan Burkholder went 3-0 wrestling in the 125/33 weight classes. He opened with a 14-0 major decision against Ray Porter of Lourdes and then grabbed a fall against Tyrone Sims of Mercyhurst NE at the 2:04 mark. Burkholder capped off his perfect day with a 17-11 decision against Thiel.
- Sophomore Sammy Southers ended the duals with a 3-0 record in the 141-pound class. He pinned Jacob Supina of Lourdes at the 3:56 plateau and then had a forfeit win against Mercyhurst NE. Southers ended the event with a 6-4 OT victory against Vincent Mion of Thiel.
- Junior Tanner Walker helped lead the Muskies with a 3-0 record in the 165-pound class. He recorded a 9-5 decision against Bobby Kelly of Lourdes and then received a forfeit win against Mercyhurst NE. Walker completed the competition with a fall against Cam Cianci of Thiel at the 59-second mark.
- Senior Anthony Cole-Young posted a 3-0 mark in the 184-pound class. He secured a fall against Noah Nuno of Lourdes at the 2:23 mark and grabbed a 9-2 decision against Devan Simpson of Mercyhurst NE. Cole-Young capped off his day with a 17-0 technical fall over Caleb Garvey of Thiel.
- Junior Antonio Zapata went 3-0 in the 197-pound class. He opened the day with a 10-1 major decision against Joesph Guillory of Lourdes and followed that with a 13-8 decision against Hunter Harnish of Mercyhurst NE. Zapata ended the event with a 6-3 decision against Devan Van Vliet of Thiel.
- Muskingum next hosts Ohio Athletic Conference foe Heidelberg on Tuesday, January 23. Match time is slated for 7:30 p.m.