The Muskingum women's basketball team narrowly fell to the College of Wooster Fighting Scots on Tuesday, 79-75.
- Records: Muskingum (2-2 overall), Wooster (3-2 overall)
- Location: Wooster, Ohio – Timken Gymnasium
- The Muskies had five players that recorded double-digit points.
Inside the Numbers
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 27-of-58 (46.6%) from the field, which included hitting just 7-of-19 (36.8%) from behind the arc.
- Junior Emily Yeager directed the Muskies with a team-best 16 points, shooting 6-of-12 (50.0%) from the field.
- Yeager also dished out a team-best seven rebounds, tallied four assists, and secured two steals.
- Sophomore Olivia Lang registered 15 points, shooting 5-of-11 (45.4%) from the field and 4-of-7 (57.1%) from behind the arc.
- Junior Camay Baylock, senior Devyn Bonner, and junior Sam Filiaggi logged 10 points each.
- Freshman Emily Hartshorn, Baylock, and Lang locked in three steals each.
- Filiaggi amassed a team-best four steals and recorded two blocks.
- Maria Janasko guided the Fighting Scots with a game-high 20 points, shooting 9-of-15 (60.0%) from the field and 2-of-7 (28.6%) from the free-throw line.
- Wooster ended the contest shooting 30-of-72 (41.7%) in the field and 14-of- 27 (51.9%) from the free-throw line.
In the first quarter, the Muskies registered back-to-back points to jump out to an early 6-2 lead. Freshman Casey Smith connected a jump shot at the 5:59 juncture to expand the gap to 13-2. The Fighting Scots retaliated with five consecutive points to trim the advantage to 23-15. In the second quarter, Ajanay Nicholoson cashed in a free-throw to get the Fighting Scots within three-points (23-20) of the Muskies. Lang drained a long ball to give Muskingum a dominating 28-20 lead. The Fighting Scots fought to close the gap and a free-throw by Aubri Mckoy tied up play to 32-32 with less than a minute remaining. Lang connected a three-pointer to give the Muskies the 35-34 edge going into the half.
In the third quarter, the contest remained tight until the Muskies recorded five straight points to slide past the Fighting Scots with a score of 45-40. Yeager drained a three-pointer to expand the differential to 53-46. Wooster chipped away at the deficit and a layup drained by Sarah Marion trimmed the Muskie advantage to 56-52 heading into the fourth. In the fourth quarter, Awkwia Tilton dished out a long ball to get Wooster within two-points (59-57) of the Muskies. Muskingum and Wooster traded baskets until the Fighting Scots registered five unanswered points to secure a 75-71 lead. Muskingum fought to close the gap, but the Wooster momentum could not be halted. Marion collected a pair of free-throws to lock in the 79-75 triumph for the Fighting Scots.
- The Muskies next host the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets on Saturday, December 7 for their 2019-20 Ohio Athletic Conference opener. Start time is slated for 3:00 p.m.