Nov 11, 2017
The Muskingum wrestling team opened its season with a strong showing at the Washington & Jefferson Invitational on Saturday. The Muskies ended the event with three top five finishes.
- Location: Washington & Jefferson, Pennsylvania - Washington & Jefferson College
- Finish: Muskingum scored 53 points to place ninth
On the Mat
- Muskingum was led by Jordan Burkholder who finished second in the 125-pound weight class. Burkholder recorded a mark of 2-1 with two technical falls before slipping in the championship match against top seed Tristan Buxton of Waynesburg, 3-2. Overall, Burkholder had five near fall four counts and four take downs.
- In the 149-pound weight class, Toby Warrington placed fifth with a 5-1 record. He ended the day with one fall and one major decision. Warrington also had eight take downs, five escapes and one reversal.
- Tanner Walker took fifth place after posting a 5-1 record. He registered three technical falls and two major decisions. Walker had 13 take downs and 10 near fall four counts.
- In the 285-weight class, Antonio Zapata went 3-2 with a pair of falls. He recorded five take downs.
- Sammy Southers ended the tournament with a 2-2 record in the 141-pound weight class.
- Muskingum returns to action at Lourdes on Thursday, November 16. Match time is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.