Apr 17, 2018
The Muskingum women's lacrosse team slipped in a heartbreaker against Franciscan on a cold Wednesday evening at the North Athletic Turf Field, 9-8.
- Records: Muskingum (2-12 overall), Franciscan (6-4 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – North Athletic Turf Field
- The contest was originally scheduled to be played at Franciscan, but was moved to Muskingum due to poor field conditions at the Franciscan facility.
- Trailing 8-5 with 10 minutes to play, Muskingum ignited a late charge led by senior Ashley Adams that pulled the Muskies to within one (9-8) with 1:21 on the clock. The surge began when Adams scored her second goal at the 9:14 mark and continued when senior Schyler Fennimore registered her first career goal on a free position shot at the 6:50 point. Adams' third tally of the contest with 1:21 to play positioned the Muskies to complete a comeback. Following the goal, Adams gained the draw control and raced down the field and had her game-tying shot saved by Brittany Bain. The Barons gained possession after the save and managed to run the time out to preserve the win.
Inside the Muskie Numbers
- Muskingum ended the outing with a 35-23 advantage in shots.
- Adams led the Muskies with three goals on 11 shots. She also registered six ground balls and caused five turnovers.
- Senior Kaeleigh Norvet scored two goals and had four caused turnovers and three ground balls.
- Freshman Courtney Hines, senior Paige Watterman and Fennimore rounded out the Muskie attack with one goal each.
- Senior Amber Swartwood logged the Muskies' lone assist.
- Freshman Hannah Bailey helped anchor the Muskie defensive effort with six ground balls and five caused turnovers.
- Senior Kate Shamel played all 60 minutes in goal and made nine saves.
- Mary Krolicki led Franciscan with four goals, while Elizabeth McEntee added two strikes and three assists.
- Bain played the entire game in frame and made 12 saves.
- Muskingum next hosts nationally-ranked Mount Union on Saturday, April 21. Game time is slated for 4:00 p.m.