Jan 05, 2019
The Muskingum women's basketball team fell to the Ohio Northern Polar Bears on Saturday, 74-52.
- Records: Muskingum (1-12 overall, 0-6 in the OAC), Ohio Northern (8-5 overall, 2-4 in the OAC)
- Location: Ada, Ohio – ONU Sports Center
Inside the Numbers
- Freshman Erica Hyre directed the Muskies with 12 points, shooting 4-of-7 (57.1%) from the field.
- Freshman Olivia Lang and sophomore Emily Yeager added nine points each.
- Sam Filiaggi mustered a team-high seven rebounds.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 18-of-66 (27.3%) from the field, which included hitting just 7-of-27 (25.9%) from behind the arc.
- Emily Brock fueled the Polar Bears with 14 points, while Jenna Dirksen generated 12.
- The Polar Bears had three players who recorded double-digit points.
- Ohio Northern ended the contest shooting 26-of-58 (44.8%) in the field and 12-of-18 (66.7%) from the free-throw line.
- Early in the first quarter, the Muskies and Polar Bears fought neck and neck with neither team gaining more than a three-point lead early on. Muskingum registered back-to-back field goals to slide past Ohio Northern with a score of 15-9. In the second quarter, freshman Olivia Lang netted a pair of free-throws to expand the gap, 22-16. The Polar Bears answered back with a ferocious 18-8 run to take the lead 34-30 at the half.
- In the third quarter, Hyre cashed in a long ball to trim the deficit 38-34 for the Muskies. At the 5:26 marker, Dirksen connected a layup to ignite a 9-6 run for Ohio Northern (54-40). At the 8:02 juncture of the final frame, sophomore Alivia Bates drained a three-pointer to lessen the lead for the Polar Bears. Muskingum sliced away at the differential but Ohio Northern slowly pulled away from the Muskies en route to the victory.
- The Muskies next host Mount Union on Wednesday, January 9 at 7:00 p.m.