The Wittenberg Tigers used a 39-13 bench-point advantage to claw past the Muskingum women's basketball team on Tuesday night, 80-61.
- Records: Muskingum (1-10 overall), Wittenberg (5-5 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele
Inside the Numbers
- Junior Devyn Bonner fueled the Muskies with 21 points, shooting 7-of-9 (77.8%) from the field and 7-of-12 (58.3%) at the free throw line.
- Sophomore Sam Filiaggi chipped in nine points, while freshman Olivia Lang added eight.
- Sophomore Alivia Bates produced seven rebounds.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 21-of-49 (42.9%) from the field, which included hitting 6-of-13 (46.2%) from behind the arc.
- Kristie Kalis led the Tigers with a double-double. Kalis notched 23 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.
- The Tigers had three players who registered double-digit points.
- Wittenberg ended the contest shooting 26-of-61 (42.6%) in the field and 21-of-34 (61.8%) from the free throw line.
In the first two minutes of the contest, the Muskies tallied back-to-back buckets to take an early 5-0 lead. Wittenberg locked in a 9-3 run to slide past Muskingum with a score of 9-8. Sophomore Kacie Leppla cashed in a layup to slow down Wittenberg's momentum. The Muskies answered and took an 11-10 edge into the second quarter. The contest remained tight until the Tigers rattled off eight points in a row to advance past the Muskies with a score of 20-14. Muskingum fought to trim the deficit, but the Tigers were able to fend them off. The score read 38-31 at the half.
Early in the third quarter, the Muskies fought to close the gap. Sophomore Hannah Carroll fired in a pair of free throws to trim the advantage to 46-40. However, Wittenberg generated a 10-7 run to stretch its lead to 56-47 going into the fourth quarter. At the 9:19 marker of the final frame, freshman Erica Hyre opened up scoring with a three-pointer to lessen the lead for the Tigers. The Muskies sliced away at the deficit but Wittenberg slowly pulled away from the Muskies en route to the road victory.
- The Muskies next play at Ohio Athletic Conference rival Marietta on Saturday, December 29. Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.