The Muskingum women's basketball team will hit the road on Wednesday, January 10 as they face Wilmington and welcome NCAA Division III #14 Ohio Northern on Saturday January 13. The games are slated for 7:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., respectively.
Game 1: Muskingum at Wilmington – 7:30 p.m. (Live Stats/Video: wilmingtonquakers.com).
Game 2: Muskingum vs Ohio Northern- 3:00 p.m. (Live Stats: fightingmuskies.com).
Records: Muskingum 6-7 overall, 2-4 OAC; Wilmington 7-6 overall, 2-4 OAC; Ohio Northern 12-1 overall, 6-0 OAC.
Closing In On 1K: Senior Olivia Besancon registered 14 points against Heidelberg on Saturday to lead Muskingum and now stands at 972 career points. She is only 28 points shy of becoming the 21st Muskie to score 1,000 career points.
- The Muskingum women's basketball team fell against Heidelberg, 72-68, in Ohio Athletic Conference play on Saturday. Besancon led Muskingum with 14 points, while adding five rebounds and four assists.
- Last week, Besancon was named the OAC Player of the Week after helping the Muskies to a 3-1 record over the holiday break by averaging 20.5 points per contest.
- Besancon is first on the team and in the OAC in points per game (18.4).
- Alexandra Carson and Caitlyn Smith are each dishing out 2.8 assists per game.
- Dana Parkman and Stephanie Clark are fifth and sixth, respectively, in the league in rebounds per game (8.1). Clark has grabbed 12 plus rebounds in four of the last six games.
- In the OAC, the Muskies have four players ranked in the top 10 in free throw percentage: Besancon is ranked first (.896), Carson is fourth (.844), Smith is ninth (.805), and Kacie Leppla is tenth (.788).
- As a team, the Fighting Muskies are first in rebounds per game (44.1) and free throw percentage (.795), and fourth in blocks per game (3.2). Muskingum is ranked third in Division III in free throw percentage.
- Last season, the Muskies lost both games to Wilmington and Ohio Northern.
- Wilmington is coming off a 90-63 road defeat against Baldwin Wallace.
- Junior Mackenzie Campbell leads the squad and is tied for fourth in the OAC in points per game (14.3). In addition, she is grasping 6.4 rebounds per game and dishing out 2.7 assists per game.
- Senior Emily Harman is averaging 6.8 rebounds per game to lead the team.
- Senior Savannah Hooper and freshman McKayla Binkley are contributing 2.7 and 2.5 assists per game, respectively.
- The Quakers are second in the conference in free throw percentage (.764), third in field goal percentage, and fourth in rebounds per game (41.6) and three-point percentage (.318).
- On Saturday, the No.14-ranked Polar Bears defeated No. 18-ranked Marietta by the final score of 72-57.
- Ohio Northern started the season with a 67-66 defeat to Bluffton, but has since gone on a 12 game winning streak.
- Last season, Ohio Northern defeated Wilmington, 70-55, in the OAC Tournament Championship game.
- Senior Amy Bullimore notched back-to-back double-double performances last week on her way to earning OAC Player of the Week honors.
- Bullimore is first on the team and second in the conference in points per game (15.8). She is also first in the league in blocks per game (2.2), second in rebounds per game (10.1), and fourth in field goal percentage (.525).
- Junior Jenna Dirksen is fourth in the conference in assists per game, averaging 3.4.
- As a team, ONU is first in the OAC in field goal percentage (.441), second in assists per game (15.8), second in rebounds per game (43.9), tied for second in blocks per game (3.5), third in three-point percentage (.349), and fifth in free throw percentage (.721).