The Muskingum women's basketball team won an emotional contest against Eureka on Friday afternoon, 67-60. Prior to the game, Muskingum held a moment of silence for junior men's basketball player Jarrell Marsh who tragically lost his life in a car accident on Thursday afternoon.
- Records: Muskingum (5-4 overall), Eureka (7-5 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
Inside the Numbers
- Muskingum's senior duo of Olivia Besancon and Alexandra Carson led the Muskie attack with 15 points each. Besancon added a 7-for-7 performance from the free-throw line and Carson grabbed seven rebounds and dished out three assists.
- Senior Caitlyn Smith scored 10 points, had seven rebounds and four assists.
- Senior Stephanie Clark controlled the glass with a season-high 16 rebounds and chipped in seven points and two blocks.
- Muskingum shot .292 (21-of-72) from the floor, held a 53-46 edge in rebounds and hit 10 three-point shots.
- Eureka was paced by Hayley Reneau who scored a game-high 28 points, with seven rebounds and three steals.
- Kerrigan Dura added 15 points and six assists for the Red Devils.
- Eureka ended the outing shooting .370 (27-of-73) from the field.
The tightly contested affair shifted in the Muskies' favor in the final 2:05 of the game. With the game tied at 56-56, Muskingum used a 9-2 surge over the next 1:42 to take a 65-58 lead and control of the outing. During the run, Besancon went 7-for-7 from the charity stripe and Carson added a basket.
At the end of the first half, Muskingum trailed 31-26. The Muskies outscored the Red Devils 19-16 in the third quarter and used a big 22-13 fourth-quarter advantage to seal the home victory.
- Muskingum next plays on Friday, December 29, at the Ohio Wesleyan Tournament. Game time is slated for 6:00 p.m.