The Muskingum softball team swept non-conference opponent Washington & Jefferson in its final tuneup before the Ohio Athletic Conference Softball Tournament. The Muskies won the opener 7-6 and took game two, 8-4.
- Records: Muskingum (26-10 overall), Washington & Jefferson (13-21 overall)
- Location: Washington, Pennsylvania – Brooks Park
Inside the Numbers - Game One:
- Muskingum scored seven runs on 12 hits.
- Senior Haylea Debolt paced the Muskies by going 2-for-4 at the plate, which included a double, a run scored and three RBIs.
- Freshman Jaelyn Meade also went 2-for-4 at the dish, with a run scored and two RBIs.
- Freshman Shaena Mayer went 2-for-2 at the plate.
- Senior Abigail Orr and junior Krissy Hughes each produced an RBI.
- An RBI single by Meade allowed Hughes to score the first run in the top of the first inning. Hughes opened the inning with a walk.
- Muskingum collected four runs in the top of the third inning. Hughes reached first on a fielding error by the second baseman, which brought freshman Karsyn Shaffer in to score the first run of the inning. Shaffer opened the inning with a double down the left field line. Shortly thereafter, Meade grounded out to second base, which allowed Hughes to score the second run. On the next play, Debolt singled up the middle to bring freshman Riley Powers across the plate. Powers reached base on a fielder's choice. An RBI single from Orr brought Debolt home for the final run of the inning.
- In the top of the fifth inning, Powers and Meade scored on a Debolt single to right center to notch the sixth and seventh run.
- Sophomore relief pitcher Sarah Turek registered her first career win in the circle, allowing two runs on six hits in 4.2 innings of work.
- Senior Haylea Debolt recorded her second save of the season as she tossed the final 2.0 innings.
- Washington & Jefferson scored six runs on 12 hits.
- Jamie Smith went 2-for-3 at the dish with two RBIs for the Presidents.
- Taylor Andres took the loss after allowing seven runs on 12 hits.
Inside the Numbers - Game Two:
- Muskingum scored eight runs on 12 hits.
- Junior Kierstyn Czuchran helped the Muskies' offense by going 2-for-3 at the plate, which included a double, and two RBIs.
- Eberling went 2-for-2 at the dish, with two runs scored, and two RBIs.
- Debolt went 2-for-3 at the plate, with a run scored, and an RBI.
- Hughes went 2-for-4 at the dish with two runs scored.
- Powers, Meade, and freshman Alexia Dowdle each accrued an RBI.
- A two-run single by Czuchran brought in Debolt and Eberling for the first two runs in the top of the second inning. Debolt opened the inning with a single to left field, while Eberling hit a single bunt to third base.
- The third run came from Hughes, who scored off Meade's single up the middle in the top of the third inning. Hughes opened the inning with a single.
- In the top of the fifth inning, Hughes scored the fourth run off Debolt's single to right field. Hughes opened the inning with a single to shortstop. On the next play, Eberling smacked a two-run homer to left field, bringing Debolt across the plate.
- An RBI double by Dowdle brought senior Nikki Mantle to home plate in the top of the sixth inning. Mantle singled down the right field line to get on base.
- The eighth and final run came in the sixth inning off Powers' single to left center, giving Dowdle the opportunity to score.
- Eberling notched a season-high seven strikeouts, allowing no runs on two hits in six innings of work.
- Washington & Jefferson scored four runs on seven hits.
- Danielle Kochka led the Presidents at the plate by going 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI.
- Kristen Fuertes tossed the loss after allowing eight runs on 11 hits.
Muskingum scored early in game one as Meade hit an RBI single through the left side in the top of the first inning. Washington & Jefferson plated two runs in the bottom of the first inning to take a 2-1 advantage. The Presidents' lead did not last long as the Muskies spurted four runs in the top of the third to hold a 5-2 advantage. Washington & Jefferson collected its third run in the bottom of the third to make it 5-3. A two-run double to right center by Debolt brought Meade and Powers across the plate to score the final runs. The Presidents scored one run in the fifth and two in the sixth to get within one, 7-6. Muskingum's defense pulled through as Washington & Jefferson went three up, three down in the bottom of the seventh to take the game one victory.
The Muskies started game two red hot as they belted out two runs in the second, one in the third, three in the fifth, and two in the sixth to hold a commanding 8-0 lead. The Presidents did not go away as they accumulated four runs in the bottom of the sixth to cut the deficit in half. Washington & Jefferson was not able to score any runs in the bottom of the seventh, giving the Muskies the win.
- Muskingum will next compete at the OAC Softball Tournament scheduled for Friday, May 4 through Sunday, May 6. The four-seed Muskies will play top-seed and host Otterbein at noon on Friday. All Muskie games will be broadcast live on the Muskie Sports Network.