Freshman Jaelyn Meade hit a walk-off single in game one to help the Muskies with the comeback win against Ohio Athletic Conference opponent John Carroll in a doubleheader split on Sunday afternoon at the Donna J. Newberry Field. Muskingum won the opener, 5-4, while the Blue Streaks took game two, 5-3.
- Records: Muskingum (18-6 overall, 4-4 Ohio Athletic Conference), John Carroll (10-9 overall, 5-3 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Donna J. Newberry Field
Inside the Numbers - Game One:
- Muskingum scored five runs on eight hits.
- Senior Abigail Orr led the Muskie attack by going 2-for-3 at the plate, which included a double, an RBI, and run scored.
- Junior Krissy Hughes, senior Haylea Debolt, freshman Jaelyn Meade, and freshman Riley Powers each tallied an RBI.
- Debolt claimed the win in the circle allowing two hits, no walks, and no runs in 6.0 innings of work.
Inside the Numbers - Game Two:
- Muskingum scored three runs on seven hits.
- Debolt led the Muskies as she went 2-for-4 at the plate, which included a double, and team-high two RBIs.
- Powers also collected an RBI, while freshman Karsyn Shaffer, Meade, and Orr each scored one run.
- Freshman pitcher Hannah Duff was dealt the loss after allowing three runs on five hits.
John Carroll grabbed an early 4-0 lead after scoring one in the top of first and smashing a three-run homer in the top of the second. The Muskies gained momentum in the bottom of the sixth inning as Hughes doubled to left center to bring Orr across the plate, while Debolt grounded out to the pitcher, allowing Shaffer to score, making it a 4-2 contest heading into the top of the seventh. With players on second and third base in the bottom of the seventh, Powers grounded out to second base, allowing Alexia Dowdle to score. On the next play, Orr doubled through the right side, sending pinch runner Caitlyn Huth to score the game-tying run. Play continued into extra innings, and Muskingum's defense came through as they held John Carroll scoreless. The Muskies prevailed as Meade produced the walk-off single in the bottom of the eighth to help Muskingum win the come-from-behind contest against John Carroll.
The Blue Streaks hit a two-run homer in the top of the first and notched another run in the second to hold an early 3-0 advantage to start game two. An RBI single by Powers in the bottom of the second got Muskingum on the scoreboard to make it a 3-1 contest. John Carroll then gathered one run in the top of the third and one in the fourth to increase its lead 5-1. An RBI double to center field by Debolt in the bottom of the seventh brought Shaffer and Orr in to score, but that was not enough as the Muskies fell short in game two.
- Muskingum will travel to Columbus, Ohio to play against Capital on Wednesday, April 11. Game one is scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m.