Feb 23, 2019
The Muskingum men's lacrosse team used a powerful second half to secure a 17-6 win over La Roche in its season opener.
- Records: Muskingum (1-0 overall), La Roche (0-3 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - North Athletic Turf Field
- Game Length: 2:15
- The Muskies and Red Hawks ended the first quarter at a 2-2 tie.
- La Roche notched three goals in the second quarter while the Muskies tallied two goals, making it 5-4 at the break.
- Muskingum started to gain momentum in the third quarter when sophomore Josh Fletcher sent a dime to freshman Luke Swartz, allowing him to score an early goal.
- 11 seconds later, senior Tucker Haas caught a pass from Fletcher and fired in a shot, granting the Muskies a one-point lead (6-5).
- Muskingum continued to heat up as freshman Zachary Westmeyer scored off an assist from Fletcher.
- The Muskies scored two more goals while La Roche managed one, ending the third quarter up 9-6.
- In the fourth quarter, Muskingum's offense took off, scoring eight unanswered goals en route to an 11-point victory over La Roche.
- Haas led the Muskies in scoring with five goals while Fletcher added four.
- Senior Dylan Gambill managed Muskingum's defense with four caused turnovers and a team-best eight ground balls.
- Freshman goalie Quentin Lawrence started in the frame for the Muskies and made 14 saves.
- Devin Wolford guided La Roche with four goals, and Nick Sylvis added two goals.
- Chris Sylvis saw 60 minutes of action in goal and recorded 22 saves for the Red Hawks.
- The Muskies will welcome Bethany to the North Athletic Turf Field on Wednesday, February 27 for a 7:00 p.m. contest.