The Muskingum men's lacrosse team battled against non-conference opponent Franciscan at the North Athletic Turf Field on Wednesday evening but fell short 16-11.
- Records: Muskingum (3-10 overall), Franciscan (4-8 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio
- Game Length: 2:15
- Attendance: 78
In the opening minutes of the first quarter, junior Ryan Stacey scored the first two goals, while senior Ian McGougan was credited with the assists on both shots to put Muskingum ahead, 2-0. Franciscan tallied two goals in the final six minutes of the first quarter to tie the contest at 2-2. The Barons outscored the Muskies 7-2 in the second quarter to hold a 9-4 advantage at intermission.
Franciscan scored four straight goals to start the third quarter to push its lead 13-4. The Muskies cut the advantage in half as senior's McGougan, Zach Kern, and Ohlen Rudy each tallied a goal in the final seven minutes of action in the third frame. Senior Andrew Ward and Kern each scored a quick goal within the first three minutes of the fourth quarter, making it 14-9. Franciscan netted at goal with 9:16 on the clock, but then play was quiet for the next several minutes. A goal by McGougan and Kern at the 3:45 and 3:02 markers, respectively, would be the final ones for Muskingum as they fell short.
Inside The Numbers
- Kern led the Muskies offense with a season-high four goals.
- McGougan scored two goals and finished with a team-high three assists and eight ground balls.
- Rudy and Stacey each collected two goals.
- Sophomore Nick Klinefelter dished out two assists.
- Rudy also added an assist and team-best five caused turnovers.
- Senior Andrew Ward registered a goal, tossed out one assist, and grabbed seven ground balls.
- Senior LaJohn Ellies played all 60 minutes in the frame and made 16 saves.
- Muskingum ended the outing with 37 shots, 39 ground balls, 14 caused turnovers, and seven assists.
- Dan McCartney led the Barons with six goals, and TM Thomas added four strikes.
- Grant McKeown garnered the win in goal making 11 saves in 60 minutes.
- Muskingum next plays at Mount Union on Saturday, April 21. Game time is slated for 1:00 p.m.