The Muskingum men's basketball team hosts Wilmington on Wednesday, January 10 at 7:00 p.m. and will visit Ohio Northern on Saturday, January 13 for a 2:00 p.m. matchup.
Game 1: Muskingum vs Wilmington – 7:00 p.m. (Live Stats: fightingmuskies.com).
Game 2: Muskingum at Ohio Northern- 2:00 p.m. (Live Stats/Video: ounsports.com).
Records: Muskingum 6-7 overall, 4-2 OAC, Wilmington 4-8 overall, 0-6 OAC, Ohio Northern 9-4 overall, 4-2 OAC
- The Muskingum men's basketball team captured their fourth Ohio Athletic Conference victory at Heidelberg on Saturday evening, 90-83. Sophomore Marcus Dempsey paced the Muskies offense with 29 points on 11-of-18 shooting, which included hitting 3-of-4 from the arc. He also added seven rebounds and four assists. Junior Devon Peart finished with a career-high 22 points, hitting 10-of-18 from the field, while chipping in three steals and two assists.
- The Muskies are sixth in the OAC standings with a 4-2 record.
- Dempsey is ranked first in the conference and third in Division III in points per game (28.8). He is making 51.1% of his shots from the field (135-of-264) and 42.9% from the arc (42-of-98). He has scored 30 plus points in six games this season.
- Dempsey was named the Ohio Athletic Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week and was named the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Division III National Men's Player of the Week for the week ending December 31 for his outstanding play over the holiday break.
- Brandon Keyes is averaging 5.0 rebounds per game to lead the squad.
- Dempsey and Jalen Paige are dishing out 2.5 and 2.1 assists per game, respectively.
- Muskingum has scored 70 or more points in each game this season.
- Overall, the Muskies are third in free throw percentage (75.1%) and fourth in the OAC in steals per game (7.2). In addition, the team averages 84.4 points per game, 32.9 rebounds per game and dishes out 10.1 assists per game.
- Last season, Muskingum swept Wilmington and lost twice to Ohio Northern.
- Wilmington lost at home to Baldwin Wallace, 87-69, on Saturday.
- The Quakers are ninth in the league standings with a 0-6 record.
- Senior Christian Jones is first on the team and ranked seventh in the conference in points per game (18.9). He also tosses 2.7 assists per game.
- Senior Nathan Scott and junior Will Patrick are distributing 12.3 and 10.6 points per game, respectively.
- Junior Andrew Russell, Patrick, and Scott each average 3.3 rebounds per game to lead the squad.
- The Quakers are second in the OAC in steals per game (10.3) and free throw percentage (75.3%), and fifth in assists per game (13.6).
- Ohio Northern was riding on a four game winning streak until NCAA Division III #25 Marietta snapped it at the Ban Johnson Arena on Saturday, 90-86.
- ONU is fourth in the OAC standings with a 4-2 record.
- Senior Nate Burger is averaging 25.7 points per game, which is the second best in the OAC and eighth in Division III.
- Junior Ryan Bruns is third in points per game, averaging 23.2, while senior Joey Diorio is 12th in the league in points per game (14.7).
- Diorio is third in the OAC in three-point percentage, making 50.5% of his shots (48-95).
- Bruns is grabbing 8.5 rebounds per game, which ranks him third in the conference.
- The Polar Bears are first in the league in field goal percentage (49.1%) and three-point percentage (41.0%), second in assists per game (17.5) and rebounds per game (39.7), and fourth in free throw percentage (72.7%).