The Muskingum men's basketball team captured their fourth Ohio Athletic Conference victory at Heidelberg on Saturday evening, 90-83.
- Records: Muskingum (6-7 overall, 4-2 Ohio Athletic Conference), Heidelberg (6-7 overall, 2-4 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: Tiffin, Ohio- Seiberling Gymnasium
Inside the Numbers
- Sophomore Marcus Dempsey paced the Muskies offense with 29 points on 11-of-18 shooting, which included hitting 3-of-4 from the arc. He also added seven rebounds and four assists.
- Junior Devon Peart finished with a career-high 22 points, hitting 10-of-18 from the field, while chipping in three steals and two assists.
- Junior Jayson Peoples led the reserves with a career-high 14 points.
- Freshman Tyler Bardall came off the bench to collect nine points, making 3-of-5 from the field and at the arc.
- Muskingum made an impressive .532 (33-of-62) from the field, which is the highest shooting percentage in a game this season. The team also dished out 11 assists.
- Heidelberg's offense was led by Myron Prewitt who scored a team-high 19 points and grabbed 11 rebounds.
- Prince Benson scored 12 points, snagged six rebounds, and finished with a game-best five blocks.
- Davey Hipp tallied 10 points and four rebounds.
- The Student Princes shot .459 (34-of-74) from the field and held a 43-33 advantage in rebounds.
Heidelberg's offense started off strong in the first half after going on a 12-2 run with 13:33 to go. During the next four minutes, Muskingum responded with a 12-5 run of their own, with nine points coming from three's, to tie the contest at 17-17. The Student Princes would retake the lead for the next several minutes before Peoples drained a three-pointer to give the Muskies the 27-26 advantage with 4:42 left. Muskingum went into the locker room at the half with a one point lead, 39-38.
The second half consisted of an ongoing back-and-forth battle between the two teams with the score being tied 62-62 at the 11:03 marker. From that moment forward, Muskingum's offense was on fire as they outscored Heidelberg 18-7, making it an 80-69 contest with 4:03 left. The Muskies were able to hold tight until the end to register their fourth OAC win.
- Muskingum will play back in the Anne C. Steele Center on Wednesday, January 10 against Wilmington. The game is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m.