The Muskingum men's basketball team slipped in Ohio Athletic Conference play at rival Marietta on Wednesday evening, 104- 86.
- Records: Muskingum (5-7 overall, 3-2 Ohio Athletic Conference), Marietta (9-3 overall, 3-2 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: Marietta, Ohio - Ban Johnson Arena
- Attendance: 1,072
Inside the Numbers
- Sophomore Marcus Dempsey led the Muskie effort with 31 points on 10-of-24 shooting, which included hitting 5-of-7 from behind the arc. He also added six rebounds and three assists.
- Junior Jalen Paige added a season-high 15 points and three assists.
- Junior Jayson Peoples scored a season-best 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
- Junior Devon Peart chipped in 10 points and notched two steals.
- Overall, Muskingum shot .419 (26-of-62) from the floor and had 10 assists.
- Marietta was led by Avery Williams who scored a team-high 21 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.
- Anthony Wallace and Kyle Dixon each added 19 points, while DeVaughn Wingard chipped in 15 points.
- The Pioneers shot .527 (39-of-74) from the field and held a 43-30 advantage in rebounds.
The first half was an even battle with the game being tied 19-19 at the 10-minute mark. The Pioneers surged ahead with a 12-2 run over the the three minutes. Marietta extended its lead to 40-23 with 5:21 on the clock. Muskingum answered the Marietta spurt and closed the half with a 16-5 run to enter the break down 45-39.
In the second half, a Paige three-point shot with 17:38 to play brought the Muskies to within 49-46. The Pioneers then rattled off eight straight points over the next two minutes to push their lead to 57-46. From the 15-minute mark on, the Pioneers maintained a double-digit lead en route to the win.
- Muskingum next travels to Heidelberg on Saturday, January 6. Game time is slated for 2:00 p.m.