The Muskingum men's basketball team will hosts a pair of Ohio Athletic Conference games this week as they play Capital on Thursday and Baldwin Wallace on Saturday in the Anne C. Steele Center. The games are set to start at 8:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., respectively, with Saturday's game marked as Muskingum's Hoops for Hunger. Free admission with a canned food or non-perishable item. All donations will be donated to the New Concord Food Pantry.
Game 1: Muskingum vs Capital – 8:00 p.m. (Live Stats/Video/Audio: fightingmuskies.com).
Game 2: Muskingum vs Baldwin Wallace – 4:00 p.m. (Live Stats/Video/Audio: fightingmuskies.com).
Records: Muskingum 1-4 overall, 0-1 OAC, Capital 2-4 overall, 0-1 OAC, Baldwin Wallace 4-1 overall, 1-0 OAC
- Muskingum picked up their first win of the season, 79-77, at Kenyon Wednesday afternoon. Jarrell Marsh collected his third straight double-double of the season as he finished with 29 points, hitting 11-of-18 from the field, snagged 11 rebounds, and added three assists. Marcus Dempsey poured out 18 points, five rebounds, and three assists. On Saturday, the Muskies fell in their first OAC contest at John Carroll, 115-74. Devon Peart paced MU with 15 points and grabbed a career-high seven rebounds.
- Dempsey leads the team in points per game (23.4) and assists per game (2.6), while second and tied for ninth in the OAC. He is making 48.9% of his shots from the field and 31.6% from the arc.
- Marsh is second on the team and fourth in the conference in points per game (20.0), and first on the team and third in the conference in rebounds per game (7.6). Marsh is 76 points away from hitting 1,000 career points.
- Freshman Mitch Clark notched a career-high 15 points at Kenyon and is averaging 5.8 points per game.
- As a team, the Fighting Muskies are making 43.6% of their shots from the field, 31.2% from the arc, and 72.1% from the free throw line.
- Last season, the Muskies lost at Capital, 86-68, but then beat Capital at home, 77-67.
- Muskingum went 1-2 against Baldwin Wallace last season. MU defeated BW at home, 98-95, in overtime, lost 89-83 in overtime at Baldwin Wallace, and fell 95-78 in the Final Four of the OAC Tournament.
- On Saturday, Capital lost their first OAC contest to Ohio Northern, 86-84, which was their fourth straight.
- Three players are averaging 10 plus points per game; Junior's Joey Weingartner (14.0), Austin Schreck (13.5), and Caleb Cox (10.7).
- Weingartner leads the team in points per game (14.0) and assists per game (2.0). He is ranked 15th in the OAC in points per game.
- Scott is hitting 62.2% (23-of-37) from the field, which is fourth best in the conference.
- Cox is second in the conference and first on the team in rebounds per game with 8.5 (51 total).
- The Crusaders have the second best field goal percentage (48.4%) and third best free throw percentage (74.6%) in the OAC.
- Baldwin Wallace went on the road and upset #6 Marietta Saturday afternoon, 73-72, to win their third straight.
- The Yellow Jackets have defeated two top 10 nationally ranked teams this season. Baldwin Wallace opened up their season with a 68-65 victory to then #10 University of Wisconsin at River Falls and beat #6 Marietta on Saturday.
- Three players are currently averaging 13 plus points per game; Senior Cam Kuhn (15.2), Junior Jay Battle (14.2), and Sophomore Michael Quiring (13.0).
- Kuhn is leading the team with 15.2 points per game on 50.0% shooting. He is currently 11th in the OAC in points per game.
- Senior Jake Fetherolf is grabbing 8.8 rebounds per game which is the highest on the team and in the OAC.
- The team is fourth in the OAC in rebounds per game (38.0) and fifth in free throw percentage (74.2%).