The Muskingum football era under Head Coach Erik Ieuter started on Saturday with a season opening 31-24 win at Waynesburg. The Muskies outscored the Yellow Jackets 24-7 in the second half to notch the victory.
- Records: Muskingum (1-0), Waynesburg (0-1)
- Location: Waynesburg, Pa. - Wiley Stadium
- Attendance: 835
- Temperature: 85, warm and muggy
- The win marked the first of Head Coach Ieuter's career. He was named Muskingum head coach in March of 2018.
How It Happened
- Muskingum erupted for 24 points in the second half to erase a 17-7 halftime deficit en route to the win.
- The surge started in the third quarter when the Muskies scored 17 unanswered points to take a 24-17 lead.
- Senior running back Warren Wilson hauled in a 10-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Brody Hahn to begin the comeback. The score capped off a five-play, 83-yard drive.
- Sophomore kicker Ross Barnett booted a 23-yard field goal several minutes later to tie the game at 17-17.
- On the ensuing kickoff, junior defensive back Jayvon Brown recovered a Waynesbueg fumble in the end zone to cap off Muskingum's 17-point outburst.
- Waynesburg tied the game at the 9:20 mark of the fourth quarter on a three-yard touchdown run by Jake Dougherty.
- Muskingum sealed the road win with a seven-play, 65-yard drive that culminated with a Hahn 20-yard touchdown pass to senior tight end Granger Long with 1:59 on the clock.
- In the first half, Muskingum scored it first touchdown of the season on a 23-yard touchdown pass from Hahn to sophomore wide receiver Terry Geiger. The scored marked the first of Geiger's career and ended a seven-play, 65-yard drive. The score gave Muskingum a 7-6 lead.
- Waynesburg scored the final 10 points of the half to take a 17-7 edge into the break.
Inside The Numbers
- Muskingum churned out 308 yards of offense on 48 plays. The Muskies mustered 13 first downs and ended the outing a perfect 3-for-3 in the red zone.
- Waynesburg had 328 yards of offense on 71 plays. The Yellow Jackets tallied 16 first downs and ended the game going 3-for-3 in the red zone.
- Hahn led the Muskie offense going 14-of-28 for 237 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.
- Long led the receivers with four receptions for 93 yards and one score.
- Freshman Amin Shaheed hauled in two grabs for 55 yards.
- Junior Bernard Johnson led the rushing attack with seven carries for 37 yards.
- Junior defensive end Tim Ousley logged 11 stops with three tackles for loss for eight yards.
- Senior linebacker Brandon Schon registered 11 hits and a half of sack.
- Sophomore defensive back Cortez McGinnis made nine tackles.
- Senior defensive lineman Staci Wilson had three hits and blocked a Waynesburg PAT attempt.
- Tyler Perone led the Yellow Jackets going 7-of-15 for 151 yards and one score.
- Chad Walker paced the Waynesburg running game with 72 yards on 17 totes.
- Cole Booth led all receivers with 139 yards one one score on four grabs.
- Tyler Smith led the Yellow Jacket defense with seven tackles.
- Muskingum next travels to Ohio Northern on Saturday, September 8. The game will mark the Ohio Athletic Conference opener for both schools. Game time is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.