Two Muskingum fumbles on its first two offensive possessions led to 15 points for 24th-ranked Heidelberg as the Student Princes seized the early momentum en route to a 36-13 win over the Muskies on Saturday in McConagha Stadium.
- Records: Muskingum (1-4 overall, 0-4 OAC), Heidelberg (4-0 overall, 3-0 OAC)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - McConagha Stadium
- Weather: 62 degrees and sunny
How It Happended
- Muskingum freshman quarterback Brody Hahn fumbled on the Muskies' second offensive snap and Heidelberg's Malik Dudley recovered the ball on Muskingum's 25-yard line. The Student Princes used seven-plays to cover 25 yards to take an early 6-0 lead. Following a bad snap on the PAT, Trace Reynolds picked up the ball and ran it in for a two-point conversion to give Heidelberg an 8-0 lead.
- Heidelberg took advantage of another Hahn fumbled on Muskingum's first play following the kickoff to extend its lead to 15-0. Verondtae Wilkinson grabbed the fumble out of the air and raced 36 yards for a touchdown.
- Muskingum trimmed its deficit to 15-7 at the 8:34 point of the second quarter on an 11-play, 85-yard drive that culminated with senior Damon Jones catching a three-yard pass from Hahn.
- Following a three-and-out by Heidelberg, Muskingum marched down to the Heidelberg five-yard line and seemed poised to draw closer. However, a 22-yard field goal by freshman Austin Alice sailed wide left and gave the Student Princes possession with 1:55 on the clock. Heidelberg covered 80 yards in seven plays to strike right before half to take a 22-7 edge in the break. Cameron Vocke capped off the drive with a six-yard touchdown run.
- Heidelberg added a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter to stretch its lead to 36-7.
- Muskingum orchestrated a 10-play, 90-yard drive to cap off the scoring midway through the fourth quarter. Jones hauled in a 13-yard pass from Hahn to mark his second receiving touchdown of the contest.
Inside The Numbers
- Hahn led the Muskie offense with 302 yards of total offense. He passed for 263 yards and two scores and added 39 yards on the ground.
- Freshman running back Cameron Near rushed for 36 yards on 15 totes and added 26 receiving yards on five grabs.
- Jones led the Muskie receivers with a career-best 10 receptions for 110 yards and two touchdowns.
- Sophomore defensive end Tim Ousley led the Muskie defense with a career-high 10 stops, including 1.5 tackles for loss.
- Senior defensive end Chris Weck registered seven hits and freshman defensive back Jailen Willis made three tackles, broke up two passes, recovered one fumble and had one interception for 55 yards.
- Quarterback Tyler Stoyle led the Heidelberg offense with 372 yards passing for three touchdowns.
- Wide out Tony Morris had 161 yards receiving on eight grabs, while Demetrius Magee had seven receptions for 111 yards and three scores.
- Trevor Summers led the Berg's defensive effort with eight tackles, while Jarrett Wasson and Austin Crow each had six hits.
- Muskingum next hosts Baldwin Wallace following a bye week on Saturday, October 14 for its Homecoming game. The contest is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.