The Muskingum baseball team celebrated Senior Day against Ohio Athletic Conference opponent Ohio Northern on Saturday afternoon. The Muskies dropped the opener 6-2 and fell in the nightcap, 17-1.
- Records: Muskingum (14-22 overall, 5-11 Ohio Athletic Conference), Ohio Northern (24-10 overall, 11-5 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Mose Morehead Field
Inside the Numbers - Game One
- Muskingum scored two runs on five hits and committed one error.
- Sophomore Holden Martin finished with one hit, which was a home run, one run scored and an RBI.
- Freshman Matt Stewart had one hit and a run scored.
- Senior Brad Donathan, junior Nate Mejia, and junior Ben Van Wey each collected a run.
- Junior Evan Hinds took the loss after allowing five runs on 11 hits. He also accumulated four strikeouts.
- In the bottom of the eighth inning, Martin blasted a two-run homer, which brought Stewart across the plate for the Muskies only two runs of the game. Stewart reach first on an error by the first baseman.
- Ohio Northern scored six runs on 12 hits and committed two errors.
- Hayden Shenefield led the Polar Bears by going 3-for-5 at the plate with two runs scored.
- Nate Bye posted the win as he pitched in eight innings, allowing two runs on five hits.
Inside the Numbers - Game Two
- Muskingum scored one run on nine hits and had one error.
- Senior Eddie Harper who went 3-for-3 at the dish led Muskingum.
- Donathan went 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Mejia went 2-for-3 at the dish.
- Freshman Luke Currie notched one hit and an RBI, while Stewart had a hit.
- Junior Marc Ibarra scored a run.
- Freshman Nolan Fernandes took the loss from the mound allowing seven runs on eight hits.
- Ibarra scored the lone run for the Muskies in the bottom of the sixth inning off a single to right field by Currie. Ibarra opened the inning with a walk.
- Ohio Northern scored 17 runs on 23 hits.
- Hayden Shenefield went 4-for-5 with two RBIs and a run scored for the Polar Bears.
- Pitcher Josh Mohr recorded the win after allowing no runs, four hits, and six strikeouts in five innings of work. Devin Johnson registered his first save of the season.
In the opener, the first three innings were scoreless until Ohio Northern broke through in the top of the fourth inning. The Polar Bears scored a run in the top of the fourth, fifth, and sixth inning to take a 3-0 lead. Ohio Northern tacked on three more runs in the top of the eighth inning to lead, 6-0. The Muskies scored their only runs in the bottom of the eighth inning off a two-run dinger from Martin as the Polar Bears took game one.
In game two, Ohio Northern seized control by scoring 11 runs in the first five innings. The Muskies scored their only run in the bottom of the sixth inning off an RBI single by Currie.
- Muskingum next plays at Mount Union for its season finale on Saturday, May 5. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.