The Muskingum baseball team was defeated, 7-6, at non-conference opponent Ohio Wesleyan on Wednesday evening.
- Records: Muskingum (14-20 overall), Ohio Wesleyan (15-16 overall)
- Location: Delaware, Ohio – Littick Field
Inside the Numbers:
- Muskingum scored six runs on 10 hits.
- Sophomore Holden Martin paced the Muskies by going 2-for-5 at the plate, which included a double, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Junior Ben Van Wey went 2-for-4 at the dish, which included a double.
- Junior Marc Ibarra went 2-for-5 at the plate, which included a double, and two RBIs.
- Senior Brad Donathan finished with a home run and two RBIs.
- Senior Eddie Harper, junior Michael Pagano, and freshman Matt Stewart each tallied a hit.
- Martin and Harper each scored off Ibarra's double to left field to collect two early runs in the top of the first inning. Harper opened the inning by reaching first on an error, while Martin singled through the left side to get on base. On the next play, Pagano scored off a dropped fly by the left fielder. Pagano reached first on a fielding error by the shortstop.
- In the second inning, Donathan blasted a two-run homer, which scored Martin. Martin doubled to left field to reach base.
- Stewart scored the sixth and final run of the contest at the top of the sixth inning. Stewart opened the inning with a single to center field.
- Junior relief pitcher Kyle Gannon took the loss after allowing two runs on two hits.
- Ohio Wesleyan scored seven runs on seven hits and committed eight errors.
- Zack Stiteler finished with a team-high three RBIs for the Battling Bishops.
- Relief pitcher Jackson Brownste claimed the win from the mound after allowing one hit in 2.1 innings of work.
Muskingum jumped to a quick 3-0 lead after Ibarra notched a two-run double to left field, allowing Martin and Harper to score, while Pagano scored the third run in the top of the first inning. The Muskies continued with the momentum as Donathan slammed a two-run homer in the third inning to push their advantage 5-0. In the bottom of the second, the Battling Bishops opened the inning with a solo homer, then later in the frame with two outs, registered two RBI singles to get on the scoreboard. The Battling Bishops continued scoring as they tied the contest at 5-5 in the fifth inning off two sacrifice flies. In the sixth inning, the Muskies took advantage of the Battling Bishops error as Stewart scored the sixth run to regain the lead, 6-5. With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Ohio Wesleyan hit a two-run homer to retake the advantage, 7-6. In the top of the ninth, Donathan struck out swinging to open the inning. Next at-bat was freshman pinch hitter Jared Auten who reached first on an error by the third baseman. Then, Ibarra singled to left field. However, freshman Caden Mumaw flied out to center field and Van Wey struck out swinging to end the game.
- The Muskies return to action Saturday, April 28 as they host Ohio Northern on Senior Day. Game time is set for 1:00 p.m.