The Muskingum baseball team dropped a heartbreaking 13-inning contest against Ohio Athletic Conference foe Baldwin Wallace in game one on Friday afternoon at Mose Morehead Field. The Yellow Jackets took game two in eight innings, 9-1.
- Records: Muskingum (11-15 overall, 4-6 Ohio Athletic Conference), Baldwin Wallace (19-9 overall, 5-5 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - Mose Morehead Field
Inside the Numbers - Game One
- Muskingum scored five runs on nine hits and committed five errors.
- Freshman Caden Mumaw paced the Muskies as he went 3-for-6 at the plate, which included two doubles, with one run scored.
- Junior Marc Ibarra notched two hits, with one being a double, and finished with a team-high four RBIs.
- Senior Brad Donathan, juniors Michael Pagano and Ben Van Wey, and freshman Matt Stewart each had one hit. Pagano and Stewart each added a run scored.
- Senior Eddie Harper scored two runs.
- Pagano and Harper scored the first two runs in the bottom of the first off Ibarra's double to left field. Pagano reached first on an error by the Yellow Jackets first baseman, while Harper was walked to open the inning.
- Stewart notched his first run, while Harper scored his second in the bottom of the fifth inning off a two-run single by Ibarra. Stewart started the inning with a single to center field and Harper was walked once again.
- Mumaw collected the fifth and final run of the game in the bottom of the sixth from an RBI single by Pagano. Mumaw reached base off a double down the left line.
- Freshman Nolan Fernandes took the loss after pitching the final two innings, allowing one run on one hit and tossed two strikeouts.
- Baldwin Wallace scored six runs on 12 hits and committed five errors.
- Alex Ludwick led the Yellow Jackets with three RBIs each.
- Spencer Berg garnered the win after closing the final two innings and allowing no runs on no hits and dishing out three strikeouts.
Inside the Numbers - Game Two
- Muskingum scored one run on two hits and had four errors.
- Stewart had one hit and a run scored.
- Ibarra tallied a hit and an RBI.
- Sophomore Bryce Husted started the game and pitched for four innings after allowing eight runs on seven hits.
- Stewart scored the lone run of the game off a double from Ibarra in the bottom of the fourth. Stewart opened the inning with a single to right field.
- Baldwin Wallace scored nine runs on ten hits.
- Dudley Taw went 3-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Trent Kaltenbach went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Alex Marcum and Kyle Pennington each ended the contest with a team-high three RBIs.
- Nick Smith grabbed the win after pitching a complete game and allowing one run on two hits.
In the opener, Ibarra got the Muskies started in the bottom of the first inning as he notched a double to left field, allowing Harper and Pagano to score to take an early lead. Baldwin Wallace scored one run in the second and one in the fifth to tie the game at 2-2. In the fifth, Ibarra hit a single through the right side to bring in Harper and Stewart, while Pagano registered an RBI single in the sixth to regain the lead, 5-2. The Yellow Jackets tacked on three runs in the top of the eighth to tie the game again at 5-5. Play continued into extra innings as neither team could produce a run scored until the top of the 13th inning when Baldwin Wallace collected an RBI single. The Muskies went three-and-out in the bottom of the 13th to fall in a heartbreaking game one.
In game two, Baldwin Wallace blasted three runs in the second inning, one in the third, and four in the fourth to take a commanding 8-0 advantage. Ibarra got Muskingum on the scoreboard in the bottom of the fourth as he hit a double down the left line to bring in Stewart. The Yellow Jackets completed their scoring in the top of the sixth off a two-run double to seal game two in eight innings.
- Muskingum returns to action on Wednesday, April 18 as they play at Ohio Athletic Conference rival, Marietta. First pitch is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.